Thursday, September 4, 2008

These were passed out for the Rosebud trip

Prayers and reflections for your use
May I walk this dayin the realm of grace,walking with Youmy feet firmly on your earth-path,my heart loving all as kindred,my words and deeds alive with justice.
May I walk as blessing,meeting blessing at every turnin every challenge, blessing,in all opposition, blessing,in harm’s way, blessing.
May I walk each step in this moment of grace,alert to hear Youand awake enough to saya simple Yes.
- Robert Corin Morris From p. 213 Wrestling with Grace: A Spirituality for the Rough Edges of Daily Life

Prayer for Simplicity
Lord, help me now to unclutter my life,to organise myself in the direction of simplicity.Lord, teach me to listen to my heart;teach me to welcome change, instead of fearing it.
Lord, I give You these stirrings inside me,I give You my discontent,I give You my restlessness,I give You my doubtI give You my despairI give You all the longings I hold inside.
Help me to listen to these signs of change, of growth;to listen seriously and follow where they lead,through the breathtaking empty space of an open door. - Northumbria Community (from Celtic Daily Prayer)

EVER-LOVING GOD, who having loved us loves us still, help us to hear again your word, "By this shall they know you are my disciples; that you love one another." Turn our hostility into hospitality and our callousness into care. Through Christ, we pray. Amen.
- Rueben P. Job and Norman Shawchuck From p. 175 A Guide to Prayer for All God’s People

GRACIOUS LORD, you are the beginning and ending of all things, my center and my circumference: root and fix me in you in such a way that my soul finds rest in its true home and never stops growing in grace, safe and secure in your loving embrace. Amen.
- Paul Wesley Chilcote p. 23 A Life-Shaping Prayer: 52 Meditations in the Wesleyan Spirit

MY LORD GOD, I have no idea where I am going. I do not see the road ahead of me. I cannot know for certain where it will end. Nor do I really know myself, and the fact that I think I am following your will does not mean that I am actually doing so. But I believe that the desire to please you does in fact please you. And I hope I have that desire in all that I am doing. I hope that I will never do anything apart from that desire. And I know that if I do this you will lead me by the right road though I may know nothing about it. Therefore I will trust you always though I may seem to be lost and in the shadow of death. I will not fear, for you are ever with me, and you will never leave me to face my perils alone.
Thomas Merton, "Thoughts in Solitude"» Abbey of Gethsemani
-
GRACIOUS LORD, you sang all that exists into being: give me a voice to sing your praise in all that I do, a heart to seek harmony with all your creation, and a spirit of gratitude and thanksgiving to tune my heart to the keynote of my life, my Lord, Jesus Christ. Amen.
- Paul Wesley ChilcoteFrom p. 41 A Life-Shaping Prayer: 52 Meditations in the Wesleyan Spirit

WHEN DISTRACTING NOISES come, don’t fight against them, do not elbow them out, but accept them and weave them by prayer into the silence. Does the wind rattle the window? Then pray, "So let the wind of the Spirit shake the Christian church into life," and absorb it into the silent listening. Does a child cry in the street outside? Then pray, "So cries my infant soul, which does not know the breadth of Thy heart," and absorb it into the silent listening prayer.
- Thomas Kelly The Sanctuary of the Soul p. 54

ALL-WISE GOD, you have called me here. Sometimes I question that call. All I ask is that I have the mind of Christ, who emptied himself of personal gain and was obedient to death. Let me die to my ego and in dying to my fantasies accept the reality of where I am. Amen.
- Richard Morgan p. 87 Settling In: My First Year in a Retirement Community

OUR PRAYER BEGINS where all prayer must begin, in the realization that the One to whom we speak is a God of grace. … To pray to such a God is like falling into the arms of the one you love. You open up your life to the One who is always faithful and trustworthy. You look to God, in the midst of hopelessness and in confidence, during times of deep personal agony and glorious triumph, from positions of overwhelming abundance and of utter desperation, and you find the Lord already near.
- Paul Wesley ChilcoteA Life-Shaping Prayer: 52 Meditations in the Wesleyan Spirit
From pp. 21-22 of A Life-Shaping Prayer


GOD, YOU ARE AT THE CENTER of this. Or you are all about me. Or even though I cannot name how you are here at all, still you are. I cannot rush matters now. Where would I rush to? I cannot deny that I am completely at sea. The sea and the drifting are all I look upon, day to day.
Yet somehow, by the thinnest of membranes, you keep me from sinking into the abyss. With your barely perceptible touch, you convey me, though I have no idea where. Through all of this uncertain movement, let my heart be toward you. Let me trust … and wait.

- Stephen V. Doughty "Adrift" 19-20 Weavings Journal
GOD OF THE GOOD NEWS,in the fullness of my life,empty me of distractions.Still my busyness.Quiet my chatter.Sing your song of grace to meuntil the tune ringsin the core of my beingand my life resonateswith your good news.
- Alive Now From p. 36 of Alive Now, November/December 2000
GOD,forgive my faultsand re-create mein your love,through Jesus Christ.Amen.
- Marianna K. Nealdevozine magazine , November/December 2004

FROM OUR BLINDNESS that cannot see the pain in others’ lives, from our fears that distance us from others, from our indifference that cannot relate to others’ suffering, deliver us, O God. Amen.
- Richard Morgan Settling In: My First Year in a Retirement Community From p. 141
COMPASSIONATE GOD,help me notto walk behind othersor to walk in front of thembut to walk beside themwith kindness.Amen.
- Richard Morgan
MAKE US AWARE, O God,that even in the darkestplaces on earthsome love is foundand music abounds.Amen. - Richard Morgan
O GOD, CHANGE my heart. Transform the attitudes from which my actions grow that I may honor you and others in my daily interactions. Amen.
- Mary Lou ReddingThe Upper Room Disciplines 2007

POTTER GOD,shape meand form meinto a vessel holding your good news.Amen.
- Alive Now
From p. 55 of Alive Now, September/October 2007

God, may I no longer be my own but yours. Put me to what you will; rank me with whom you will. Put me to doing; put me to suffering. Let me be employed for you or laid aside for you, exalted for you or brought low for you. Let me be full; let me be empty. Let me have all things; let me have nothing. I freely and heartily yield all things to your pleasure and disposal. And now, O glorious and blessed God — Creator, Redeemer, and Inspirer — you are mine, and I am yours. May this promise that I hereby make on earth be ratified in heaven. Amen.
- W. Paul JonesAn Adaptation of Wesley’s Watchnight Vows

No comments: